Friday, September 10, 2010

Plockton by train, ferry, bus, walk...

Waterside Guesthouse - Plockton
Sticky Toffee Pudding (yes, I did it again!)
Dinner - a picture is worth a thousand words.
Tide in - mist o' the mornin'.
Tide out.
Kim had a little difficulty with the height of this bathroom as I bumped my head.
Our room at the Waterside.
View from the bridge.
View of the bridge.
View from the ferry.
Glinfinnan Station.
Glinfinnan Viaduct.
Kim on the Jacobite.
Hogwart's Express.
We sat at the breakfast table this morning watching it rain. By the time we were packed up and ready to head to the train station, the rain had stopped, the heavy cloud cover was lifting, and blue skies were beginning to appear. Mother, here are various sky pictures for your painting fodder and there are many more from whence these came. The young man sitting next to me on the steam train was traveling alone and gladly traded seats with Kim so that we could sit together. Vincent, I was hoping to get some Harry Potter memorabilia for you from the train but they aren't allowed to sell it due to licensing agreements.
We took the train from Fort William to Mallaig, had one hour to catch the ferry to the Isle of Skye, got off the ferry and walked over to board the bus for Kyle of Lochalsh. The bus from Kyle to Plockton (where we are staying tonight) was scheduled to leave 6 minutes before we were to arrive, so the plan was to wait on the train (2 hours). When the bus driver found out we were going to have to wait on the train, he sped up, pulled up next to the Plockton bus just as it was about to pull out, tooted his horn and pointed at us so the driver would wait. After all, we were the only 2 on the Kyle bus and 2 of the only 3 on the bus to Plockton. Once again, we are in a very remote area, no cell service, and I haven't been able to get on the internet, so will publish this tomorrow.
This is a beautiful and quiet little fishing village. It would be a great place to stay awhile, climb the local peaks, and just relax. Hope you enjoy the pics and the sounds of the bagpipe below.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! It looks like the end was worth the trek!
    Beautiful scenery, and looks like a place I'd love to just have stayed and waited for you while you worked your way across the country.:-)
    That bathroom would have been a luxury in the early days of our country. Looking on the bright side. Your meal looked scrumptious. Was that shrimp? Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meme, What is the yellow fruit on the sticky toffee pudding? What kind of fish was looking at you while you ate it? Thanks for the picture of the gnome. Good job walking across an entire country. Love Saige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saige, the fruit was quince and Poppy's staring fish was seabass. I had 12 Plockton prawns staring at me. Thanks, it was quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that I'm "catching up" days late. I am in agreement that it appears the end of your journey was lovely. I too congratulate you both for an awesome journey completed!!!

    ReplyDelete