Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 7

View from our dining table.
The train station.
Let me have some money.
The Moor of Rannoch Inn.
View from our room.
Notice the peat stained water.
17 miles later, the road does end.
We're going beyond this end of the Loch.
We left from the end of the Loch where the sun is peeking through the clouds.
And the road goes on....
Moss covers everything.
Lunch break.
View from our lunch stop.
Roosters crowing at us.
We left Bunrannoch House in Kinloch Rannoch at 9 am and arrived at Rannoch Station (17 miles away) at 3 pm. The only other 6 hour day we've had was around 12 miles. All the others have been between 7 and 8 1/2. We had rolling hills today but no mountains to climb so we made good time, even with our lunch and rest breaks. The wind was blowing 20-30 mph but was to our backs. I had good intentions when we went down to dinner last night. I was only going to have the starter and skip the main course and dessert. Then when I looked at the menu and saw sticky toffee pudding, I couldn't resist. So, I had a starter of goat cheese and red onion tart, mixed green salad, homemade brown bread, and sticky toffee pudding. Kim had the chicken and rosemary soup, roasted leg of lamb with vegetables, and the pudding. We decided to have the innkeeper pack us one lunch today because there wasn't anything good for snacking at the market. She roasted chicken with some great seasoning and made two sandwiches with the brown bread, added a thick slice of gingerbread, and some fruit. Now that is a nice lunch!
The Moor of Rannoch House, where we are staying tonight, is literally at the end of the road. There is a train station here and the Inn; that's it. There is no travel by car beyond this point. There is also no internet, no TV, and no cell phone service, so I won't be posting this until tomorrow. The water is stained with peat and trickles out of the faucet so bathing took awhile.
It is supposed to rain tomorrow as we cross the Moor; however, the wind should be behind us, so at least it won't be hitting us in the face. I think tomorrow may be the toughest day yet.

1 comment:

  1. These are some of the prettiest pictures yet. What a beautiful country. I promise, with all the walking you are doing, I wouldn't skip out on ANY part of the meal. It sounds delicious. What a nice way to enjoy a lunch break.

    ReplyDelete